Chair & Awards
- Canada Research Chair in Perinatal Community Health
- Women’s Health Research Chair
- Other Notable Awards and Distinctions
Canada Research Chair in Perinatal Community Health
Dr. Dennis currently (2007-2018, renewed) holds a Canada Research Chair in Perinatal Community Health.
The Canada Research Chairs program stands at the centre of a national strategy to make Canada one of the world’s top countries in research and development. The Canada Research Chairs program invests over $300 million per year “to attract and retain some of the world’s most accomplished and promising minds”. In 2007, Dr. Dennis was nominated by the University of Toronto and awarded a Canada Research Chair in Perinatal Community Health. The chair was for 5 years (2007-2012) and was renewed for another 5 years (2013-2018).
Women’s Health Research Chair
Dr. Dennis currently (2016-2021) holds the Women’s Health Research Chair at St. Michael’s Hospital and the University of Toronto
The Women’s Health Research Chair, funded by the University of Toronto, the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care and St. Michael’s Hospital, enables Dr. Dennis to continue to lead a program of research and education in women’s health, with a particular emphasis on improving breastfeeding outcomes, preventing and treating perinatal depression and anxiety, examining the health of immigrant women and children and developing interventions that involve fathers. The Women’s Health Research Chair will also have an international presence, fostering exchange, partnership, and dialogue with researchers, clinicians, and decision makers around the world.
Other Notable Awards and Distinctions
- Research Fellow – Canadian Academy of Health Sciences (2018)
- Marcé Medal – The International Marcé Society for Perinatal Mental Health (2018)
- Scholarship into Practice Award – Council of Ontario University Programs in Nursing (COUPN) (2018)
- Shirley Brown Chair in Women’s Mental Health Research at Women’s College Hospital (2011-2016)
- Visiting Scholar – La Trobe University, Judith Lumley Centre for Mother, Infant and Family Health Research (2016)
- Global Bridges International Scholar – Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden (2015)
- Mood Disorders Association of Manitoba, Helping Hands of Hope Award (2014)
- Mood Disorders Association of Ontario, Hope Inspiration Award (2013)
- New Investigator Award – Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) (2005-2010)
- Career Scientist Award – Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care (2003-2008)
- Postdoctoral Fellowship Award – CIHR and National Health and Research Development Program (NHRDP) (2000-2002)